May is Older Americans Month!
Every year since 1963, May has been designated by the National Council of Senior Citizens as the month for the United States to appreciate and celebrate older adults and their contributions to our communities. Likewise, Feeding America participates in the movement by raising awareness and showing support for the 4.8 million seniors facing hunger in our country.
This year, Older Americans Month comes on the heels of the release of our Spotlight on Senior Health: Adverse Health Outcomes of Food Insecure Older Americans research with the National Foundation to End Senior Hunger (NFESH). The study reveals that senior food insecurity is associated with lower nutrient intake and an increased risk for chronic health conditions.
Compared to their food-secure peers, food-insecure seniors are:
- 60 percent more likely to experience depression
- 53 percent more likely to report a heart attack
- 52 percent more likely to develop asthma
- 40 percent more likely to report an experience of congestive heart failure
With your support, the Feeding America network provides food to more than 3 million seniors each year, yet we can see from these disconcerting statistics that we have much more work to do. Now is a critical time to raise awareness and show support for our older neighbors facing hunger.
WAYS TO GET INVOLVED:
Help increase awareness for the issue and join our social media campaign #SolveSeniorHunger.
- MAKE a sign with the handwritten hashtag: #SolveSeniorHunger
- POSE for a photo with a senior you know, while holding your #SolveSeniorHunger sign
- SHARE the photo on Facebook and/or Twitter with one of the suggested messages
NEED MORE? Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to take and upload your photo to Facebook and Twitter
TV personalities from the Oprah Winfrey Network and YouTube sensations, The Golden Sisters, join the campaign! Watch their latest video supporting Feeding America and Older Americans Month.
Urge Congress to support funding for the Commodity Supplemental Food Program (CSFP) in Fiscal year 2015 Agriculture Appropriations.
- CALL the toll-free hotline at 888-398-8702 or click here
- TELL THEM TO SUPPORT $209 million in funding for current caseloads and $5 million to expand the program to 6 additional states
- To get more background on the issue
Ask your member of Congress to visit your food bank’s senior program.