On Saturday, May 10, 2014, the National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC) will collect food donations in order to provide assistance to the millions of Americans who are struggling with hunger. Look for a Stamp Out Hunger Letter Carrier Food Drive postcard in your mailbox right before the food drive!
- The Stamp Out Hunger food drive is a nationwide effort that provides food to local food banks and pantries. Food banks across the country continue to experience record demand for emergency food assistance, especially in the summer months when children are out of school.
- The nation’s 180,000 letter carriers will collect food donations left at the mailboxes of generous Americans in more than 10,000 communities and deliver them to food banks and other hunger-relief organizations.
Celebrating its 22nd anniversary this year, the Stamp Out Hunger food drive is the nation’s largest single-day food drive
having collected more than one billion pounds of food since its inception in 1993. In 2013, generous Americans donated more than 74 million pounds of food, which marked the tenth consecutive year that at least 70 million pounds were collected.
Nick Cannon, multi-talented entertainer and member of the Feeding America Entertainment Council, is the national spokesperson for the Stamp Out Hunger food drive for the fourth consecutive year. The drive particularly hits home for Cannon, who experienced hunger and relied on food pantries as a child.
Wonder what foods are great to donate to the food drive? Here are a few non-perishable food items requested by food banks:
- Canned fruits and vegetables
- Canned meals such as soups, chili, pasta
- 100% juice
- Peanut butter
- Pasta sauce or spaghetti sauce
- Macaroni & cheese
- Canned protein – tuna, chicken, turkey
- Beans – canned or dry
For more information about the annual Stamp Out Hunger food drive, visit www.facebook.com/StampOutHunger and follow the food drive at www.twitter.com/StampOutHunger.
Thanks to the many Stamp Out Hunger sponsors for their support!
National Association of Letter Carriers (NALC)
United States Postal Service (USPS)
Campbell Soup Company
National Rural Letter Carriers’ Association (NRLCA)
Uncle Bob’s Self Storage